EN
Loveridge's Sunbird Cinnyris loveridgei



Taxonomy

Taxonomic note

Cinnyris loveridgei (del Hoyo and Collar 2016) was previously placed in the genus Nectarinia following Sibley & Monroe (1990, 1993).

 

Taxonomic source(s)
del Hoyo, J., Collar, N.J., Christie, D.A., Elliott, A., Fishpool, L.D.C., Boesman, P. and Kirwan, G.M. 2016. HBW and BirdLife International Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the World. Volume 2: Passerines. Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International, Barcelona, Spain and Cambridge, UK.

IUCN Red list criteria met and history
Red List criteria met
Critically Endangered Endangered Vulnerable
- B1ab(ii,iii) B1ab(ii,iii); D2

Red List history
Year Category Criteria
2021 Endangered B1ab(ii,iii)
2016 Endangered B1ab(iii)
2012 Endangered B1ab(iii)
2010 Endangered B1a+b(iii)
2008 Endangered B1a+b(iii)
2006 Endangered
2004 Least Concern
2000 Lower Risk/Least Concern
1994 Lower Risk/Near Threatened
1988 Near Threatened
Species attributes

Migratory status not a migrant Forest dependency Medium
Land mass type Average mass -
Distribution

Estimate Data quality
Extent of Occurrence breeding/resident (km2) 560 medium
Number of locations 3 -
Severely Fragmented -
Population and trend
Value Data quality Derivation Year of estimate
No. of mature individuals 14000-110700,24700 good estimated 2000
Population trend Decreasing medium suspected -
Decline (3 years/1 generation past) - - -
Decline (5 years/1 generation past) - - -
Decline (10 years/1 generation past) - - -
Decline (10 years/3 generation future) 1-15 - - -
Decline (10 years/3 generation past and future) 1-15 - - -
Number of subpopulations 1 - - -
Percentage in largest subpopulation 100 - - -

Population justification: The total population has been estimated at between 21,000 and 166,000 individuals, with a likely figure of 37,000 individuals (Tøttrup et al. 2004). Assuming two-thirds of the individuals are mature, this equates roughly to 24,700 (14,000- 110,700) mature individuals.

Trend justification: The species's population is believed to be declining very slowly due to ongoing habitat loss and degradation (A. Tøttrup in litt. 2006; N. Burgess in litt. 2006). Between 2008-2019, 4.7% of forest was lost from this species's range (Global Forest Watch 2020), which equates roughly to a loss of 4.3% over three generations. As this species appears intolerant of habitat degradation, it is suspected that the population is declining at a similar rate. The overall rate of past decline is placed in the band 1-9% to account for uncertainty. Between 2016-2019, 3.4% of forest was loss from this species's range (Global Forest Watch 2020), which equates roughly to a loss of 8.3% over three generations. The overall rate of future decline is placed in the 1-15% band to account for uncertainties.


Country/territory distribution
Country/Territory Occurrence status Presence Resident Breeding Non-breeding Passage
Tanzania N Extant Yes

Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas (IBA)
Country/Territory IBA Name
Tanzania Uluguru Mountains

Habitats & altitude
Habitat (level 1) Habitat (level 2) Importance Occurrence
Forest Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane major resident
Shrubland Subtropical/Tropical High Altitude suitable resident
Altitude 1200 - 2560 m Occasional altitudinal limits  

Threats & impact
Threat (level 1) Threat (level 2) Impact and Stresses
Agriculture & aquaculture Annual & perennial non-timber crops - Small-holder farming Timing Scope Severity Impact
Ongoing Majority (50-90%) Slow, Significant Declines Medium Impact: 6
Stresses
Ecosystem degradation, Ecosystem conversion
Biological resource use Logging & wood harvesting - Unintentional effects: (subsistence/small scale) [harvest] Timing Scope Severity Impact
Ongoing Majority (50-90%) Slow, Significant Declines Medium Impact: 6
Stresses
Ecosystem degradation, Ecosystem conversion

Recommended citation
BirdLife International (2022) Species factsheet: Cinnyris loveridgei. Downloaded from http://www.birdlife.org on 08/08/2022. Recommended citation for factsheets for more than one species: BirdLife International (2022) IUCN Red List for birds. Downloaded from http://www.birdlife.org on 08/08/2022.