The Nové Mlýny Middle Reservoir (VDNM) is situated at the confluence of three Moravian rivers: the Dyje, Svratka, and Jihlava, surrounded by the towns of Dolní Vìstonice, Strachotín, Ivaò, and Pasohlávky. The area that was once covered by floodplain forests. The only remaining part of the village of Musov, now covered by water, is a small church with Romanesque foundations, which catches the eye as it emerges from the middle of the reservoir. The bottom of the reservoir was flattened only at some places before the reservoir was filled up with water. Thus the reservoir varies in depth and small islets emerge whenever the water level drops by just a little. At the current constant level (170.35 m above sea level), about 20 ha of islets in two main groupings emerge above the water: Nine islets at Dolní Vìstonice (so-called Písky) covering about 10 ha, and islets Kostelní, Høbitovní, Ivaòský and a complex of six depositions surrounding the Musov church and covering about 8 ha. At the above-mentioned constant water level, the area of the reservoir is 1,013 ha.
The area is an important breeding site, wintering site and migration stopover of migrating waterbirds - more than 20,000 waterbirds gather there regularly. The area is an important breeding site, wintering site and migration stopover of migrating waterbirds - more than 20,000 waterbirds gather there regularly.
Pressure/threats to key biodiversity
Threats include recreational activities (angling and canoeing), pressure from which is expected to increase, and hunting (considerably reduced since 1998). `Other' threats are posed by water-level fluctuations, and the effects of nutrient enrichment and pollution. A management plan adopted in 1996 addresses some of these problems. 1996 also saw construction work begin on a biocorridor connecting riverine habitats above and below the reservoirs.
Almost 97% of this IBA belongs to the Vìstonická nádr Nature Reserve and it is a part of a Ramsar site. (Wetlands of the Lower Dyje River, 11,500 ha). SPA Stredni nadrz Vodniho dila Nove Mlyny designed (1048 ha).