Site description (2006 baseline)
King’s Hill is the oldest Forest Reserve in St. Vincent and the second oldest in the Western Hemisphere. It was established in 1791 to ‘attract the clouds and rain’ and thus provide rain for surrounding areas that were otherwise dry and windswept. The natural vegetation of the area is Dry Woodland forest and soils are generally light and sandy. The site also contains the oldest remaining sample plot established by J. S. Beard in1949 (Ivor Jackson and Associates, 2004). Due to its age and historical significance, the site is often used by the Forestry Department for research, school tours and dendrology training. However, use of the site is restricted and legally requires the permission of the Director of the Forestry Department.
Six (6) RRS and no Globally-threatened species are found. Other notable species found in the area include the Black Hawk and Scaly-naped Pigeon.
Non-bird biodiversity: The endemic lizards A. griseus and A. vincentiana are found, along with endemic sub-species M. bruesi. It is possible that species endemic flora may also be present.
BirdLife International (2023) Important Bird Area factsheet: King's Hill Forest Reserve. Downloaded from http://datazone.birdlife.org/site/factsheet/kings-hill-forest-reserve-iba-st-vincent-and-the-grenadines on 05/10/2023.