Nggorang Bowosie

Site description (2003 baseline):

Site location and context
This area is one of the wetest area in Flores (Pilgrim

Key biodiversity
Information about bird from this area is very limited. This area is one of two areas in Flores where the three endemic Flores birds species present: Flores Monarch Monarcha sacerdotum, Flores Crow Corvus florensis, and Wallace's Hanging-parrot Loriculus flosculus (Trainor & Lesmana 2000). Flores expedition in 1997 (Pilgrim, gave more information about the distribution range of Flores Monarch Monarcha sacerdotum (found in Ceras and Golo Bilas which include Nggorang Bowosie area), which previously only recorded in Tanjung Karita Mese (Verhoeye & Holmes 1999).Wallace's Hanging-parrot Loriculus flosculus recorded in this area (Pilgrim, Trainor & Lesmana 2000). This bird is frequently seen in a group of up to 7 birds (Pilgrim Only few records for Flores Monarch Monarcha sacerdotum.Forest quality is in good condition, and indicated by existence of Flores Crow Corvus florensis, (BirdLife International 2001). This bird depends on lowland forest(Verhoeye & Holmes 1999).

Habitat and land use
Tropical moist deciduous forest on limestone and tropical dry deciduous forest on limestone at altitude below 200 m. Around 70% of forest in this area at altitude between 0-500 m, and the remaining area (30%) between 500-800 m (Trainor & Lesmana 2000).

Pressure/threats to key biodiversity
Illegal logging, road development, land clearing for agriculture, problem of land status, fires and firewood collection (Pilgrim 2000, Trainor & Lesmana 2000).

Protected areas
Proposed as a conservation area for its biological value (Pilgrim 2000)

Recommended citation
BirdLife International (2023) Important Bird Area factsheet: Nggorang Bowosie. Downloaded from on 02/12/2023.